Dr C Louise Thwaites BSc MBBS MRCP MD DMSMed MLCOM
Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Louise Thwaites is a clinical researcher and member of the Emerging Infections group at OUCRU. She is a research lecturer in the Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health at the University of Oxford and an honorary consultant at Oxford University Hospitals Trust. She is an expert consultant to the World Health Organization and a member of the sepsis in resource-limited settings–expert consensus recommendations group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine and the Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit.
Her research interests are centred on the care of critically ill patients in resource-restricted settings and she has spent much of her career engaged in research into tetanus. This includes conducting a large randomized controlled trial of magnesium sulphate in tetanus, investigation into the underlying pathophysiology and long-term outcome following tetanus and, more recently, trying to understand which populations are most at risk of tetanus and ways to improve vaccination uptake these communities. Her broader research interests also include the management of sepsis and septic shock in resource-limited settings and understanding and preventing hospital-acquired infection in the intensive care unit.
Louise has published more than 30 articles in international journals.
5 key recent research articles:
1. Current challenges in the management of sepsis in ICUs in resource-poor settings and suggestions for the future. Schultz MJ, Dunser MW, Dondorp AM, Adhikari NK, Iyer S, Kwizera A, Lubell Y, Papali A, Pisani L, Riviello BD, Angus DC, Azevedo LC, Baker T, Diaz JV, Festic E, Haniffa R, Jawa R, Jacob ST, Kissoon N, Lodha R, Martin-Loeches I, Lundeg G, Misango D, Mer M, Mohanty S, Murthy S, Musa N, Nakibuuka J, Serpa Neto A, Nguyen Thi Hoang M, Nguyen Thien B, Pattnaik R, Phua J, Preller J, Povoa P, Ranjit S, Talmor D, Thevanayagam J, Thwaites CL; Global Intensive Care Working Group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med. 2017 May;43(5):612-624. doi: 10.1007/s00134-017-4750-z. Epub 2017 Mar 27.
2. Tetanus in Southern Vietnam: Current Situation. Thuy DB, Campbell J, Thanh TT, Thuy CT, Loan HT, Hao NV, Minh YL, Tan LV, Boni MF, Thwaites CL Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Jan 11;96(1):93-96. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0470. Epub 2016 Nov 7.
3. Recommendations for infection management in patients with sepsis and septic shock in resource-limited settings. Thwaites CL, Lundeg G, Dondorp AM; sepsis in resource-limited settings–expert consensus recommendations group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM) and the Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit (MORU) in Bangkok, Thailand. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Dec;42(12):2040-2042. Epub 2016 Jun 21.
4. Thwaites CL, Beeching NJ, Newton C. Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus, 2014, Lancet, Lancet. 2015 Jan 24;385(9965):362-70. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60236-1. Epub 2014 Aug 19.
5. Thwaites CL, Yen LM, Loan HT, Thuy TT, Thwaites GE, Stepniewska K, Soni N, White NJ, Farrar JJ. Magnesium sulphate for treatment of severe tetanus: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006 Oct 21; 368(9545):1436-43