Juan J. Carrique-Mas, DVM, MSc, PhD, MRCVS
Research fellow (Wellcome Trust Intermediate Clinical Fellowship)
Currently leads the Vietnamese Platform for Antimicrobial Reductions in Chicken Production (www.viparc.org).
Juan’s training background includes a Degree in Veterinary Medicine (University of Cordoba, Spain), an MSc in Tropical Veterinary Medicine (Edinburgh University, UK), and a PhD in veterinary epidemiology (Warwick University, UK). Juan also completed a fellowship of the European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (EPIET) at the Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control. He has been involved in numerous multi-disciplinary research projects on livestock in the UK, Bolivia, Sweden and Vietnam. In February 2010, Juan joined the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to work as technical advisor on the Vietnam programme to control Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) H5N1. Since September 2011, Juan has been working for the Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme at Oxford University Clinical Research Unit (OUCRU) in Vietnam, where he has been conducting research on topics such as Avian Influenza, non-typhoidal Salmonella, Campylobacter, Bartonella, Leptospirosis and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Since March 2016 Juan leads the Vietnamese Platform for Antimicrobial Reductions in Chicken Production (www.viparc.org), a large, Wellcome Trust-funded, field-based project that includes a randomised field trial aiming to reduce the reliance on antimicrobials among chicken farmers of the Mekong Delta (Vietnam). Juan has been active in several regional and global initiatives to reduce antimicrobial usage and AMR in animal production systems, including collaborations with the Food and Agriculture Organization, the World Bank, the Merieux Foundation. Juan’s main drive is to develop practical measures to improve control of zoonotic bacterial diseases, and to reduce the farmer’s reliance on antimicrobials.
Key recent publications
- Antimicrobial resistance in bacterial poultry pathogens: A Review. Nguyen Thi Nhung, Niwat Chansiripornchai and Juan J. Carrique-Mas. FRONT VET SCI. (2017) 10 August, doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2017.00126.
- Antimicrobial residues and resistance against critically important antimicrobials in non-typhoidal Salmonella from meat sold at wet markets and supermarkets in Vietnam. Nhung NT, Van NTB, Cuong NV, Duong TTQ, Nhat TT, Hang TTT, Nhi NTH, Kiet BT, Hien VB, Ngoc PT, Campbell J, Thwaites G, Carrique-Mas J. INT J FOOD MICROBIOL (2017) Dec 17;266:301-309. doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2017.12.015. [Epub ahead of print].
- Mortality, disease and associated antimicrobial use in commercial small-scale chicken flocks in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Carrique-Mas J, Van NTB, Cuong NV, Truong BD, Kiet BT, Thanh PTH, Lon NN, Giao VTQ, Hien VB, Padungtod P, Choisy M, Setyawan E, Rushton J, Thwaites G. PREV VET MED (2019) Apr 1;165:15-22. doi: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2019.02.005. Epub 2019 Feb 11.
- Antimicrobial usage in animal production: A review of the literature with a focus on low- and middle-income countries. Cuong NV, Padungtod P, Thwaites G, Carrique-Mas JJ. ANTIBIOTICS (Basel) (2018) Aug 15;7(3). pii: E75. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics7030075.
- Assessment of drivers of antimicrobial usage in poultry farms in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam: A combined participatory epidemiology and Q-sorting approach. Bao Dinh Truong, Phu Hoang Doan, Khanh Vinh Doan Tran, Cuong Van Nguyen, Kiet Tuan Bach, Chalalai Rueanghiran, Aurelie Binot, Flavie Luce Goutard, Guy Thwaites, J Carrique-Mas and Jonathan Rushton. FRONTIERS IN VETERINARY SCIENCE. FRONT VET SCI (2019) Mar 25;6:84. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2019.00084. eCollection 2019.
- Characterisation of gastrointestinal helminths and their impact in commercial small-scale chicken flocks in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. TROP ANIM HEALTH PROD (2019) Jul 2. doi: 10.1007/s11250-019-01982-3. [Epub ahead of print]. Van NTB, Cuong NV, Yen NTP, Nhi NTH, Kiet BT, Hoang NV, Hien VB, Thwaites G, Carrique-Mas JJ, and Ribas A.
- Affordability of antimicrobials for animals and humans in Vietnam: A call to revise pricing policies. Carrique-Mas J, Van Cuong N, Truong BD, Phu DH, Phuc TM, Turner H, Thwaites G, Baker S. INT J ANTIMICROB AGENTS (2019) Aug;54(2):269-270. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2019.05.009. Epub 2019 May 11.
- Labelling and quality of antimicrobial products used in chicken flocks in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Yen NTP, Phu DH, Van Cuong N, Kiet BT, Hien BV, Padungtod P, Truong DB, Thwaites GE, Carrique-Mas JJ. VET MED SCI (2019) Aug 2. doi: 10.1002/vms3.189. [Epub ahead of print].
- Assessing antimicrobial misuse in small-scale chicken farms in Vietnam from an observational study. Choisy M, Van Cuong N, Bao TD, Kiet BT, Hien BV, Thu HV, Chansiripornchai N, Setyawan E10, Thwaites G, Rushton J, Carrique-Mas J. BMC VET RES (2019) Jun 20;15(1):206. doi: 10.1186/s12917-019-1947-0.
- Veterinary drug shops as main sources of supply and advice on antimicrobials for animal use in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Doan Hoang Phu, Vu Thi Quynh Giao, Dinh Bao Truong, Nguyen Van Cuong, Bach Tuan Kiet, Vo Be Hien, Guy Thwaites, Jonathan Rushton and Juan Carrique-Mas. ANTIBIOTICS (2019), Vol. 8, Issue 4. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics8040195.