Tran Thi Bich Chieu, MSc.
Research Assistant – Zoonosis Group
Chieu graduated from the Biotechnology Department, University of Science, HCMC, Viet Nam in 2004. Chieu joined OUCRU VN in Dec 2006 as an MSc student to investigate the virulence of Stretococcus. suis and then became a research assistant in the Zoonoses group in Oct 2007. Her research focuses on understanding the mechanism of antimicrobial drug resistance, genetic diversity and relationship of S. suis isolated from humans and pigs in Viet Nam. Currently, she is working on identifying the burden of S. suis infection in Viet Nam.
1. Hoa NT, Chieu TT, Do Dung S, Long NT, Hieu TQ, Luc NT, et al. Streptococcus suis and Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome, Vietnam. EID. 2013; 19(2): 331–333. PMID: 23343623
2. Hoa NT, Tran TB, Tran TT, Nguyen VD, Campbell J, Pham HA, et al. Slaughterhouse pigs are a major reservoir of Streptococcus suis serotype 2 capable of causing human infection in southern Vietnam. PLoS One. 2011; 6(3): e17943. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017943. PMID: 21464930
3. Hoa NT, Chieu TT, Nghia HD, Mai NT, Anh PH, Wolbers M,et al. The antimicrobial resistance patterns and associated determinants in Streptococcus suis isolated from humans in southern Vietnam, 1997-2008. BMC Infect Dis. 2011; 11:6. PMID: 21208459
4. Trung NV, Matamoros S, Carrique-Mas JJ, Nghia NH, Nhung NT, Chieu TTB, et al. Zoonotic transmission of mcr-1 colistin resistance gene from small-scale poultry farms, Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Mar.
5. Cuong, N. V., Truc, V. N. T., Nhung, N. T., Thanh, T. T., Chieu, T. T. B., Hieu, T. Q., Men, N. T., Mai, H. H., Chi, H. T., Boni, M. F., van Doorn, H. R., Thwaites, G. E., Carrique-Mas, J. J. and Hoa, N. T. (2016), Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Virus A/H5N1 Infection in Vaccinated Meat Duck Flocks in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Transbound Emerg Dis, 63: 127–135. doi:10.1111/tbed.12470