Tran Tinh Hien, MD, PhD, FRCP (Edin)
Director of Clinical Research
Professor Tran Tinh Hien received his medical degree from the University of Medicine in Saigon, Vietnam in 1978, and his PhD from Oxford University Clinical Research Unit and the Open University UK in 2004. He was appointed Visiting Professor of Infectious Diseases at Oxford University, and has been a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh) since 2004. He has been working for the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Ho Chi Minh City since 1978, first as Head of Intensive Care Unit, then in 1985 as Head of Malaria Ward, and in 1987 as Head of the Medical Service. He was appointed as its Vice Director in 1989. He is a member of several committees and advisory groups, including the Sub-Committee on the Management of Malaria, the National Malaria Control Programme for the MOH of Vietnam, the Management Committee on the National Project for the Control of Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever in Vietnam, and the Clinical Committee on the National Programme for the Control of Avian Influenza Virus Infection in Humans in Vietnam. In 2001, Dr Tran Tinh Hien was appointed member of the WHO Technical Advisory Group on Artemisinin Combined Therapy. He has worked as Principal Investigator for various projects on malaria and typhoid fever, funded by TDR/WHO, and the Wellcome Trust UK, has participated in 30 presentations, mainly on malaria, and is the author or co-author of more than 200 publications.
Director of Clinical Research Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh Vietnam (Centre of Tropical Medicine Oxford University, funded by the Wellcome Trust (2010 -2015)
2010- Senior Consultant, Clinical Research Department of Health HCMC
1989 – 2009: Vice Director, Hospital for Tropical Diseases
1987 – 1989: Head of Medical Service, Cho Quan Hospital
1985 – 1987: Head of Malaria Ward, Cho Quan Hospital
1978 – 1985: Head of Intensive Care Unit, Cho Quan Hosptial
2008-2017: Member of the Independent Ethical Committee of The MoH Vietnam
2008-2017: Member of the Sanofi Dengue Vaccine IDMC
2006 – 2010: Member of Project Management Committee of National Project of Control of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Vietnam
2009: Member of Advisory Board of Antibiotic Resistance in Vietnam
2008 – 2013: Member of the External Scientific Advisory Board (ESAC) of Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV)
2005 – 2009: Member of Clinical Committee, National Programme of Control of Avian Influenza Virus Infection in Humans, Vietnam
2001- 2005: Member of WHO Technical Advisory Group on Artemisinin Combined Therapy
1993 – 1995: Head, Malaria Ward, Hospital for Tropical Diseases Vietnam
1991 – 1993: Head, Clinical Research Ward, Hospital for Tropical Disease, Vietnam
2011: Professor of Tropical Medicine Oxford University
Honorary Member of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
2010: Mackay Medal by the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Visiting Professor of Tropical Medicine Oxford University UK
2004: Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians UK
2004: PhD Oxford University of Clinical Research Unit, Vietnam and Open University UK
1978: Medical Degree University of Medicine Saigon Vietnam
- von Seidlein L, Peto TJ, Landier J, Nguyen TN, Tripura R, Phommasone K, Pongvongsa T, Lwin KM, Keereecharoen L, Kajeechiwa L, Thwin MM, Parker DM, Wiladphaingern J, Nosten S, Proux S, Corbel V, Tuong-Vy N, Phuc-Nhi TL, Son DH, Huong-Thu PN, Tuyen NTK, Tien NT, Dong LT, Hue DV, Quang HH, Nguon C, Davoeung C, Rekol H, Adhikari B, Henriques G, Phongmany P, Suangkanarat P, Jeeyapant A, Vihokhern B, van der Pluijm RW, Lubell Y, White LJ, Aguas R, Promnarate C, Sirithiranont P, Malleret B, Rénia L, Onsjö C, Chan XH, Chalk J, Miotto O, Patumrat K, Chotivanich K, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Jittmala P, Kaehler N, Cheah PY, Pell C, Dhorda M, Imwong M, Snounou G, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Lee SJ, Simpson JA, Pukrittayakamee S, Singhasivanon P, Grobusch MP, Cobelens F, Smithuis F, Newton PN, Thwaites GE, Day NPJ, Mayxay M, Hien TT, Nosten FH, Dondorp AM, White NJ., The impact of targeted malaria elimination with mass drug administrations on falciparum malaria in Southeast Asia: A cluster randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2019 Feb 15;16(2):e1002745. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002745.
- Llanos-Cuentas A, Lacerda MVG, Hien TT, Vélez ID, Namaik-Larp C, Chu CS, Villegas MF, Val F, Monteiro WM, Brito MAM, Costa MRF, Chuquiyauri R, Casapía M, Nguyen CH, Aruachan S, Papwijitsil R, Nosten FH, Bancone G, Angus B, Duparc S, Craig G, Rousell VM, Jones SW, Hardaker E, Clover DD, Kendall L, Mohamed K, Koh GCKW, Wilches VM, Breton JJ, Green JA., Tafenoquine versus Primaquine to Prevent Relapse of Plasmodium vivax Malaria. N Engl J Med. 2019 Jan 17;380(3):229-241. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1802537.
- Goldlust SM, Thuan PD, Giang DDH, Thang ND, Thwaites GE, Farrar J, Thanh NV, Nguyen TD, Grenfell BT, Boni MF, Hien TT., The decline of malaria in Vietnam, 1991-2014. Malar J. 2018 Jun 7;17(1):226. doi: 10.1186/s12936-018-2372-8.
- Nguyen TN, von Seidlein L, Nguyen TV, Truong PN, Hung SD, Pham HT, Nguyen TU, Le TD, Dao VH, Mukaka M, Day NP, White NJ, Dondorp AM, Thwaites GE, Hien TT., The persistence and oscillations of submicroscopic Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax infections over time in Vietnam: an open cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 May;18(5):565-572. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30046-X. Epub 2018 Feb 2. Erratum in: Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 May;18(5):492.
- Son DH, Thuy-Nhien N, von Seidlein L, Le Phuc-Nhi T, Phu NT, Tuyen NTK, Tran NH, Van Dung N, Van Quan B, Day NPJ, Dondorp AM, White NJ, Thwaites GE, Hien TT., The prevalence, incidence and prevention of Plasmodium falciparum infections in forest rangers in Bu Gia Map National Park, Binh Phuoc province, Vietnam: a pilot study. Malar J. 2017 Nov 6;16(1):444. doi: 10.1186/s12936-017-2091-6.
- Imwong M, Hien TT, Thuy-Nhien NT, Dondorp AM, White NJ., Spread of a single multidrug resistant malaria parasite lineage (PfPailin) to Vietnam. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017 Oct;17(10):1022-1023. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30524-8. No abstract available.