|Position||Laboratory Technician (MiniLab, Ha Hoa) (JDHAN_1123_013)|
|Location||Ha Hoa District Hospital, Phu Tho Province|
|Hours of work||Full time: 37.5 hours per week from Monday through Friday, standard hours (it may be necessary to work on night shifts or on weekends as per Ha Hoa district hospital regulations for workers at the laboratory)|
|Tenure||Initially for 10 months, including a 01 month probation period, with the possibility of extension based on the availability of funding|
|Reporting to||1. Clinical Microbiologist at OUCRU Hanoi|
2. Head of Laboratory at Ha Hoa District Hospital
|Background||The Oxford University Clinical Research Unit (OUCRU) is a large-scale clinical and public health research unit, with sites offices in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam, Jakarta in Indonesia and Kathmandu in Nepal. In Vietnam, we are hosted by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases (HTD) in Ho Chi Minh City, and the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases (NHTD) in Hanoi. OUCRU Nepal has partnerships with the Patan Academy of Health Sciences and Patan Hospital, and OUCRU Indonesia exists in partnership with the University of Indonesia. As a Wellcome Trust Africa Asia Programme, we have received considerable support from the Wellcome Trust since our establishment in 1991.|
OUCRU’s vision is to have local, regional and global impact on health by leading a locally driven research programme on infectious diseases in Southeast Asia. Priority is given to health issues important to the hospitals where we work, and to the countries as a whole where we operate: Vietnam, Indonesia and Nepal. All work is intended not only to benefit the patients seen daily at our host hospitals, but also to help improve patient care.
OUCRU employs approximately 320 people across Viet Nam and has an average annual budget of USD 12mil.
The main research interests for the Hanoi office are antimicrobial resistance and influenza. As part of our research and capacity building programme to reduce the burden of antimicrobial resistance and improve antimicrobial use, OUCRU Hanoi is partnering with hospitals at national, provincial and district level throughout the country to improve clinical and diagnostic practices.
The project Upgrading and aMplifying AMR control with Microbiology laboratory Solutions for district hospitals in Northern Vietnam (UMAMiS) aims at improving access to clinical bacteriology in district hospitals (DH) by implementing microbiology solutions. In Ha Hoa DH, we will implement a small-scale, standalone microbiology laboratory, called Mini-Lab. We are looking for a Laboratory Technician eager to learn clinical bacteriology techniques to run the Mini-Lab in Ha Hoa.
Please see more information on OUCRU Website: https://www.oucru.org/project/47hn/
|Job summary||· The lab technician holding this position is responsible for the laboratory work in the Mini-Lab in Ha Hoa DH. They will receive specific training for the use of the Mini-Lab by OUCRU’s microbiologist and trainer.|
· Mini-Lab activities and responsibilities cover the whole spectrum of samples collection, testing, reporting, data management, quality assurance, and stock management of consumables and reagents.
· The lab technician will liaise with the staff at Ha Hoa DH and in particular the head of the laboratory for reception of samples and reporting of results. They will also liaise with OUCRU staff and in particular the clinical microbiologists of for all technical issues related to Mini-Lab and collection of data for the research project.
· The lab technician might be requested to move for short periods of time to Hanoi or Phu Tho provincial hospital in Viet Tri to receive instructions or training.
|Key responsibilities and tasks||· The Mini-Lab laboratory technician carries out clinical laboratory operations in accordance with the Mini-Lab protocols and safety and hygiene rules, in order to inform clinicians to choose antibiotic treatments.|
· Collect blood, sterile fluids, and urine samples for microbiology. Possibly, get involved in training others for samples collection.
· Perform a variety of microbiological procedures in the Mini-Lab in order to cultivate, isolate, and identify microorganisms, and test their susceptibility to antimicrobials.
· Conducts routine and specialized microbiological procedures, for use in diagnosing and treating infectious diseases.
· Use the Mini-Lab computer system (Mini-LIMS) in order to ensure that the data collected at each step is logged.
· Monitoring the stock in the Mini-Lab using the available resources.
· Understanding the document management system set up in the laboratory.
· Run quality controls, verify the accuracy of findings, identify test inconsistencies, and take appropriate action to make corrections and resolve problems.
· Operate, clean, and maintain laboratory equipment used in microbiological analysis and procedures.
· Comply with health and safety standards through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemicals and biological samples.
· Comply with quality management and respect standard operating procedures.
· Other duties related to clinical biology testing as requested by supervisors. In particular, the lab technician might be required to support lab team in Ha Hoa DH and perform other lab tasks than those related to the Mini-Lab.
· BSc in clinical laboratory technology
· Documented experience in laboratory work in a healthcare institution
· Familiarity with Standard Operating Procedures and quality management
· Desire to learn new techniques and to work in a changing environment
· Able to work under pressure, flexible
· English basic skills in reading, speaking, writing and listening.
· Fluency in Vietnamese
· Experience of working/living in a relatively remote setting
· Familiarity with Phu Tho province
· Experience with research
· Well organized, enthusiastic and committed to improving healthcare
· Solutions-oriented mindset
· Team player, reliable
|Benefits||– Contracted salary: Negotiable (depending on actual experience and education). The salary covers travel expenses for professional purposes.|
– Annual leave 18 days each year for the first year
– Other responsibilities and benefits are based on Viet Nam Labour Law.
|How to apply||Interested qualified candidates are invited to send their detailed resume and cover letter in English, including copies of relevant degrees, certificates by email to Ms. Pham Thi Thanh Hoa – Operations Manager: email@example.com|
* The cover letter should detail:
– What part of your education, training or employment history has best equipped you for this position and why you would be a good candidate?
– Contacts of two referees who are your latest HR/ line manager and can provide details of relevant work experience and attitude
* We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
|Contact person||Ms. Pham Thi Thanh Hoa|
|Deadline for submission||17th November 2023|