Post: Operations Manager Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Nepal
Reports to: Director
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract: 100%, 1 year with the possibility of an extension
Salary: As per the organizations policy
Start date: As soon as possible
Summary of Role:
To manage the efficient performance of all operational activities within OUCRU-NP.
OUCRU-NP was founded in 2003 and has since established a reputation as one of the leading clinical research groups in Nepal. There has been considerable investment in upgrading the laboratories and in training young Nepalese clinicians and scientists. The main research focus is on the most common infectious diseases affecting the Nepalese population with a major focus on undifferentiated febrile illnesses and antimicrobial resistance.
Responsibilities of the post holder:
- Ensuring the efficient operation of OUCRU-NP in liaison and collaboration with host and partner institutions
- Providing day-to-day leadership to a range of operations functions including administration, finance, human resources, health and safety, procurement, legal and regulatory compliance and IT.
- Providing support and advice to senior Unit staff on all matters relating to programme management policies and practice.
Working directly with senior operational counterparts in OUCRU Viet Nam to ensure implementation of best practice, consistency of policies, standard implementation of risk management frameworks and to facilitate excellent relationships with key funders and stakeholders.
Key duties of the post holder
- Manage, develop and implement all strategies, policies, procedures needed to support the Unit across all relevant areas;
- Manage all institutional level contracts, including grant contracts, MoU’s and sub-contracts;
- Manage all assets and the inventory for the unit;
- Manage operational, administrative, and fiscal matters with collaborators;
- Resolve organisational and management issues as they arise;
- Ensure all legal and regulatory documents are maintained in compliance with relevant laws and regulations in Nepal;
- Oversee the efficient management of all general administrative tasks;
- Handle all aspects of facilities management including minor renovations, obtaining appropriate permissions and agreement for works to be carried out, and leading all relevant working space-related negotiations with our host institutions as required.
Health and Safety, Risk and Compliance:
- Support the Unit on all matters of health and safety, liaising closely with academic colleagues working specifically in this area;
- Working closely with OUCRU-VN to ensure appropriate levels of monitoring and compliance of relevant policies and practices;
- Carry out, review and write risk assessments and ensure appropriate reporting in addition to conducting regular safety reviews of facilities;
- With colleagues investigate accidents and incidents where appropriate and propose possible preventative interventions;
- Ensure that all staff receive necessary induction and guidance concerning Health and Safety Matters, to include fire/earthquake event drilling and safety training;
Human Resources (HR) and Training:
- Manage all employment and HR-related issues;
- Develop and implement induction programmes for staff and visitors;
- Oversee systems that identify and fill personnel needs/vacancies on the basis of merit and without prejudice
- Oversee systems of awareness and training for staff on core behavioural policies including but not limited to bullying and harassment, equality and diversity, research misconduct, fraud and bribery etc.
The procurement officer will be reporting to the operations manager who will be responsible for supervision and oversight of the procurement team ensuring that following activities are fulfilled
- Oversee all procurement for the Unit including maintaining appropriate, auditable paperwork in line with relevant policies and practices
- Maintain a record of all expenditure in coordination with B&S
- Provide management accounts, and other reports, on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to principle investigators, OUCRU-VN and funders as required;
- Ensure all deadlines and external funder award terms and conditions are met
- Ensure that all budgets are managed appropriately
IT and Data management
The IT officer will be reporting to the IT manager within PAHS and the operations manager of OUCRUNP. The operations manager will coordinate with the IT manager of PAHS and supervise and oversee the IT team ensuring that following activities are fulfilled
- Working closely with OUCRU-VN, ensure the provision of IT facilities for all staff and visitors, including, if required at external sites;
- Ensure the implementation of policies and practices, which adhere to OUCRU -VN standards and compatibility;
- Work closely with all staff involved in data management to ensure all required hardware and software is in place and available as and when required.
Carry out any other reasonable duties as required by the Unit Director
- Educated to Masters level or higher in a relevant subject;
- Leadership experience in comparable roles and responsibilities
- Excellent spoken and written English with proven ability to research and write accessible, clear administrative policy documents;
- Good knowledge of Nepalese regulations including tax, vat and organizational law
- Proven ability to review, assess and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to produce reports and draft complex correspondence.
- Experience of developing and implementing effective procedures and systems to support and facilitate the activities of a research organisation in an international environment,
- Experience of coordinating, organising and conducting training programmes for staff.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send curriculum vitae, application and copies of relevant certificates, by email to Sambhav Dhakal <firstname.lastname@example.org>