|Position||Social Scientist cum Community Engagement Coordinator|
|Department||Social Science and Implementation Research Group (SSIR)|
|Location||This post is based in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. There will be a requirement to travel within Viet Nam.|
|Hours of work||Full time Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week, extra hours may be required.|
|Tenure||Initially for 1 year, including a 2 month probation period, with possibility of extension based on annual performance appraisal|
|Reporting to||Head of Social Science and Implementation Research Group |
Head of Public and Community Engagement Group
|Background||The Oxford University Clinical Research Unit (OUCRU) is a large-scale clinical and public health research unit, with sites offices in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam, Jakarta in Indonesia and Kathmandu in Nepal. In Vietnam, we are hosted by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases (HTD) in Ho Chi Minh City, and the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases (NHTD) in Hanoi. OUCRU Nepal has partnerships with the Patan Academy of Health Sciences and Patan Hospital, and OUCRU Indonesia exists in partnership with the University of Indonesia. As a Wellcome Trust Africa Asia Programme, we have received considerable support from the Wellcome Trust since our establishment in 1991. |
OUCRU’s vision is to have local, regional and global impact on health by leading a locally driven research programme on infectious diseases in Southeast Asia. Priority is given to health issues important to the hospitals where we work, and to the countries as a whole where we operate: Vietnam, Indonesia and Nepal. All work is intended not only to benefit the patients seen daily at our host hospitals, but also to help improve patient care.
OUCRU employs approximately 320 people across Viet Nam and has an average annual budget of USD 12mil.
Please see more information on OUCRU website: www.oucru.org
|Key tasks and responsibilities||· The Social Scientist will coordinate and implement qualitative research regarding wildlife farming and related policy in Dak Lak Province, Vietnam.|
· The Social Scientist will contribute to community engagement activites regarding wildlife farming in Dak Lak province (and possibly other topics/locations in Vietnam if contract is extended).
· In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated below, the ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced qualitative researcher and have experience in public and community engagement.
· You will be working as part of a multi-disciplanary team to implement research activities under the guidance/mentorship of the Head of Social Science and Implementaion Research group and the Head of Public Engagement group. This involves the following:
o Design qualitative research activities;
o Liaise with national and international colleagues and partners for input into the project;
o Develop relationships and with local collaborators and stakeholders to facilitate implementation and design of research projects;
o Travel to Dak Lak province, and rural sites within the province to conduct research.
o Conduct focus group discussions, in-depth interviews and participant observation at study sites;
o Manage and analyse data using qualitative research processes;
o Review and synthesize literature to provide context for the research;
o Review grey literature and film data to provide context for the research;
o Write and disseminate results in reports, research papers, and conferences/meetings;
o With advice from the team, design and implement a community engagement project in the research communities;
o Contribute to training and skills development workshops.
|Selection criteria||· MSc or higher degree, with background in social sciences, anthropology, or related field|
· Excellent spoken and written Vietnamese and English essential
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in cross-cultural settings essential
· Experience in qualitative data collection, data organization and analysis
· Experience using qualitative data analysis software (e.g. Nvivo, Dedoose, Atlas)
· Experience in conducting engagement activities and working with diverse communities
· Highly organized
· Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy, and yet be a team player
· Willing to travel to rural and sometimes remote areas
|Benefits||– Contracted salary: Negotiable (depending on actual experience and education).|
– Optional insurance: In-patient and out-patient medical coverage; Personal accident insurance coverage
– Two months’ salary for annual bonus and clothes
– Annual leave 18 days each year for the first year
– Other responsibilities and benefits are based on Viet Nam Labour Law.
|How to apply||Interested candidates are invited to send curriculum vitae, application and copies of relevant certificates, either by email or by post to|
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit
Laboratory of Clinical Science
Hospital for Tropical Diseases
764 Vo Van Kiet, Ward 1, District 5, HCMC
* The cover letter should detail: What part of your education, training or employment history has best equipped you for this position?
– Why you would make a good candidate for this position?
– Names of two referees who can provide details of relevant experience
*** Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interview. Please no telephone contact after submitting the application
|Contact person||Nguyen Thi Hong Phuc|
|Deadline for submission||15 June 2023|