Dr Sophie Yacoub, BM, MRCP, PhD, MSc, DTM&H
Primary Job: Dengue Research Group Head – Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, LKCMedicine, Singapore.
Honorary Clinical Research Fellow- Imperial College London, UK
Honorary Consultant, Infectious Diseases and General Medicine- London North West Healthcare NHS Trust
Sophie is a Consultant Physician in Infectious Diseases and General Medicine and is the Dengue Research Group Head at the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit (OUCRU). She is as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine in Singapore, and holds an honorary Consultant appointment at London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust in the UK.
She was awarded a PhD in 2016, through the Imperial College Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD Programme and has a Masters degree from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. She is a member of the Royal College of Physicians in London. She has clinical academic experience in a variety of tropical diseases, including Chagas disease, malaria and dengue, having worked in northern Australia, Kenya, Tanzania and Honduras. Her work has been supported by grants from the Wellcome Trust, NMRC Singapore, the WHO, British Heart Foundation and the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine.
She currently leads a translational programme of dengue research in OUCRU-Vietnam, including pathogenesis studies, innovative technology for monitoring critically ill patients, physiology studies of severe dengue infections as well as clinical trials of novel host directed therapeutics.
Google scholar page: (H index:18) https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gjZ_bDkAAAAJ&hl=en
5 key recent research articles:
- Mai NTH, Phu NH, Nghia HDT, Phuong TM, Duc DT, Vinh Chau NV, WillsB, Tchoyoson LCC, Thwaites G, SimmonsCP, Yacoub S. Dengue-associated posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis 2018;24(2):402-404
- Yacoub S, Hunh T, Kanh LP, Broyd C, Quyen NTH, Duyen HTL, Simmons CP, Screaton G, Wills B. Cardio-haemodynamic assessment and venous lactate in severe dengue: relationship with recurrent shock and respiratory distress. Plos NTD 2017 Jul 10;11(7)
- Yacoub S, Hunh T, Kanh LP, Quyen NTH, Duyen HTL, Mongkolsapaya J, Culshaw A, Wertheim H, Simmons CP, Screaton G, Wills B. Endothelial nitric oxide pathways in the pathophysiology of dengue disease progression: an observational study. Clin Infect Dis 2017 Jun 29.
- Yacoub S, Kanh LP, Vu M, Le L, Fox A, Kinh N, Wolbers M, Simmons CP, Screaton G, Wertheim W, Wills B. Association of microcirculatory function and endothelial biomarkers with clinical outcome in dengue: an observational study. JID 2016 Sep 1;214(5):697-706. 6
- Screaton G, Mongkolsapaya J, Yacoub S, Roberts C. (2015) New insights into dengue immunopathology and control. Nat Rev Immunol 2015 Dec;15(12):745-59.