Dr C Louise Thwaites BSc MBBS MRCP MD DMSMed MLCOM
Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Louise Thwaites is a clinical researcher and member of the Emerging Infections group at OUCRU. She is an associate professor in the Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health at the University of Oxford and an honorary consultant at Oxford University Hospitals Trust. Her research focuses on the care of critically ill patients in resource-restricted settings and she has spent much of her career engaged in research into tetanus. This includes conducting a large randomized controlled trials of magnesium sulphate and intrathecal tetanus antitoxin in tetanus, investigation into the underlying pathophysiology and long-term outcome following tetanus and, trying to understand which populations are most at risk of tetanus and ways to improve vaccination uptake these communities. More broadly, she is interested in ways of improving care of critically ill patients using new technologies and forging new collaborations to achieve this. Her current role in the VITAL project involves developing new devices and technologies for use in diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation following diseases such as tetanus, sepsis and dengue. Louise is an expert consultant to the World Health Organization. She is a member of the Crit Care Asia network and leads the guidelines and policy working group of the Asia Pacific Sepsis Association as well as being a member of the sepsis in resource-limited settings–expert consensus recommendations group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine and the Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit.
Louise has published more than 50 articles in international journals. https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=YLCVWQoAAAAJ&hl=en
5 key recent research articles:
- Heart rate variability as an indicator of autonomic nervous disturbance in tetanus. Duong HTH, Tadesse GA, Nhat PTH, Hao NV, Prince J, Duong TD, Kien TT, Tan LV, Pugh C, Loan HT, Chau NVV, Yen LM, Zhu TT, Clifton D, Thwaites CL. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2019 Dec 12. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.19-0720.
- Functional outcome and muscle wasting in adults with tetanus Truong NT, Duoc NVT. H. Nhat LTH, Yen LM, Hao NV, Truong NT, Duong HTH, Thuy DB, Phong NT, Tan LV, Puthucheary ZA, Thwaites CL. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2019; 00: 1–8 doi:10.1093/trstmh/trz055
- Tetanus. Yen LM, Thwaites CL. Lancet. 2019 Mar 29. pii: S0140-6736(18)33131-3. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)33131-3
- Increasing women’s leadership in science in Ho Chi Minh City. Hoa NT, Thuong NTT, Clapham HE, Thu TTA, Kestelyn E, Thwaites CL. Lancet. 2019 Feb 9;393(10171):523-524. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32090-7.
- Recommendations for infection management in patients with sepsis and septic shock in resource-limited settings. Thwaites CL, Lundeg G, Dondorp AM; sepsis in resource-limited settings–expert consensus recommendations group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM) and the Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit (MORU) in Bangkok, Thailand. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Dec;42(12):2040-2042. Epub 2016 Jun 21.