Dr C Louise Thwaites BSc MBBS MRCP MD DMSMed MLCOM
Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Louise Thwaites is a clinical researcher and member of the Emerging Infections group at OUCRU. She is an Associate Professor in the Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health at the University of Oxford. She is an expert consultant to the World Health Organization and a member of the sepsis in resource-limited settings–expert consensus recommendations group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine and CRITICal CARE Asia (Collaboration for Research, Implementation & Training in Intensive CARE in Asia). Louise is a member of the steering committee of the Asia Pacific Sepsis Association and leads the guidelines, policy and quality working group.
Her research interests are centred on the care of critically ill patients in resource-restricted settings, including introducing new technologies to address these challenges. She has spent much of her career engaged in research into tetanus. This includes conducting a large randomized controlled trial of magnesium sulphate in tetanus, investigation into the underlying pathophysiology and long-term outcome following tetanus and, more recently, trying to understand which populations are most at risk of tetanus and ways to improve vaccination uptake in these communities. Her broader research interests also include the management of sepsis and septic shock in resource-limited settings and understanding and preventing hospital-acquired infection in the intensive care unit. She is interested in ways of improving the care of critically ill patients using new technologies. Her current role in the VITAL project involves developing new devices and technologies for use in diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation following diseases such as tetanus, sepsis and dengue.
Louise has published more than 100 articles in international journals.
5 key recent research articles:
- Effectiveness of continuous endotracheal cuff pressure control for the prevention of ventilator associated respiratory infections: an open-label randomised, controlled trial Dat VQ, Yen LM, Loan HT, Phu VD, Binh NT, Geskus RB, Trinh DHK, Mai NTH, Phu NH, Lan NPH, Thuy NP, Trung NV, Cap NV, Trinh NT, Hoa NT, Van NTT, Luan VTTT, Nhu TTQ, Long HB, Ha NTT, Van NTT, Campbell J, Ahmadnia E, Kestelyn E, Wyncoll D, Thwaites GE, Hao NV, Chien LT, Kinh NV, Chau NVV, van Doorn HR*, C Thwaites CL*, Nadjm* B, , Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2021;, ciab724, https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciab724 [*joint authorship]
- Tetanus. Yen LM, Thwaites CL. Lancet. 2019 Mar 29. pii: S0140-6736(18)33131-3. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)33131-3
- A Pilot Study to Assess Safety and Feasibility of Intrathecal Immunoglobulin for the Treatment of Adults with Tetanus. Loan HT, Yen LM, Kestelyn E, Van Hao N, Mai NTH, Thuy DB, Hai Duong HT, Dung NTP, Phu NH, Lieu PT, Thanh TT, Geskus R, Rogier van Doorn H, Van Tan L, Wyncoll D, Day NPJ, Hien TT, Thwaites GE, Chau NVV, Thwaites CL. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018 Jun 18. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.18-0153
- Current challenges in the management of sepsis in ICUs in resource-poor settings and suggestions for the future. Schultz MJ, Dunser MW, Dondorp AM, Adhikari NK, Iyer S, Kwizera A, Lubell Y, Papali A, Pisani L, Riviello BD, Angus DC, Azevedo LC, Baker T, Diaz JV, Festic E, Haniffa R, Jawa R, Jacob ST, Kissoon N, Lodha R, Martin-Loeches I, Lundeg G, Misango D, Mer M, Mohanty S, Murthy S, Musa N, Nakibuuka J, Serpa Neto A, Nguyen Thi Hoang M, Nguyen Thien B, Pattnaik R, Phua J, Preller J, Povoa P, Ranjit S, Talmor D, Thevanayagam J, Thwaites CL; Global Intensive Care Working Group of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med. 2017 May;43(5):612-624. doi: 10.1007/s00134-017-4750-z. Epub 2017 Mar 27.
- Tetanus in Southern Vietnam: Current Situation. Thuy DB, Campbell J, Thanh TT, Thuy CT, Loan HT, Hao NV, Minh YL, Tan LV, Boni MF, Thwaites CL Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Jan 11;96(1):93-96. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0470. Epub 2016 Nov 7. http://www.ajtmh.org/docserver/fulltext/14761645/96/1/93.pdf?expires=1501498532&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=DFA531C94FFD78F7B7DA6440D5EB26B3