Nguyen Thuy Thuong Thuong
Group Head – Tuberculosis
Associate Professor, Nuffield Department of Medicine, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Professor Thuong received her PhD training at OUCRU, Vietnam and postdoctoral training at Cornell University, USA in host genetics and cellular immunity in tuberculosis. She currently holds a Wellcome Trust International Intermediate Fellowship focused on linking human genotype and immunological phenotype to better understand TB pathogenesis using transcriptomics. She has been leading the Tuberculosis Research Group at OUCRU since 2015. The objectives of her group are to improve TB diagnosis and treatment by carrying out clinical trials of new diagnostic tests and therapeutic approaches. The group also aims to understand more about how genetic variations in both host and pathogen influence disease presentations, treatment response and outcomes.
Thuong’s international publications can be found on the NCBI database, here.
Key recent publications are below.
- Srinivasan V, Ha VTN, Vinh DN, Thai PVK, Ha DTM, Lan NH, Hai HT, Walker TM, Thu DDA, Dunstan SJ, Thwaites GE, Ashton PM, Caws M, Thuong NTT. Sources of multi-drug resistance in patients with previous isoniazid resistant tuberculosis identified using whole genome sequencing: A longitudinal cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Mar 13. pii: ciaa254.
- Donovan J, Thu DDA, Phu NH, Dung VTM, Quang TP, Nghia HDT, Oanh PKN, Nhu TB, Chau NVV, Ha VTN, Hang VTT, Trinh DHK, Geskus RB, Tan LV, Thuong NTT, Thwaites GE. Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra versus Xpert MTB/RIF for the diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis: a prospective, randomised, diagnostic accuracy study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020 Mar; 20(3): 299–307.
- Thuong NTT, Dao N Vinh, Hoang T Hai, Do DA Thu, Le TH Nhat, Dorothee Heemskerk, Nguyen D Bang, Maxine Caws, Nguyen TH Mai, Guy E Thwaites. Pre-treatment cerebrospinal fluid bacterial load correlates with inflammatory response and predicts neurological events during tuberculous meningitis treatment. J Infect Dis. 2019 Feb 23; 219(6):986-995.
- Tram TTB, Nhung HN, Vijay S, Hai HT, Thu DDA, Ha VTN, Dinh TD, Ashton PM, Hanh NT, Phu NH, Thwaites GE, Thuong NTT. Virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Clinical Isolates Is Associated with Sputum Pre-treatment Bacterial Load, Lineage, Survival in Macrophages, and Cytokine Response. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2018 Nov 27; 8: 417.
- Holt KE, McAdam P, Thai PVK, Thuong NTT, Ha DTM, Lan NN, Lan NH, Nhu NTQ, Hai HT, Ha VTN, Thwaites G, Edwards DJ, Nath AP, Pham K, Ascher DB, Farrar J, Khor CC, Teo YY, Inouye M, Caws M, Dunstan SJ; Frequent transmission of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing lineage and positive selection for the EsxW Beijing variant in Vietnam. Nat Genet; 2018 Jun; 50(6):849-856.